Purple Sunbirds drink nectar from flowers. They do it so gently and with the utmost care. Their firm and gentle grip and long beak allow them to reach deep inside the flower. When I took this photo, I was actually out observing vultures in Girnar Hills. At one moment, I noticed this purple sunbird jumping from flower to flower. The valley, afternoon sun, green trees, dry grass, and indeed this beautiful little bird filled the frame with many colours. Different shades of colours on the flashy neck and finer details of the eyes are apparent in the picture. In Girnar Hills, the Girnar Wildlife Sanctuary host plenty of birds and animal species, including Asiatic Lion nurturing their natural habitat. It also is a famous pilgrimage destination of cultural and devotional importance, with temples located within different areas and on top of the Girnar Hills. This picture was taken from a pilgrimage path as a handheld camera shot.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor