For my birthday weekend, regardless of the fact that I couldn’t go anywhere or do anything because of the COVID-19 pandemic, all I wanted to do was spend the daylight hours on Saturday and Sunday taking pictures of hummingbirds. At the time, the Pride of Madeira (echium fastuosum or echium candicans) were in full bloom behind my house just past the fence, and I thought they would provide a nice change from the Bird of Paradise flowers I usually photograph with the hummingbirds (I am lucky enough to live in San Diego and have various flowers blooming year-round). I positioned myself between the sun and the flowers, made sure there was nothing distracting in the background and proceeded to spend hour upon hour just sitting, watching, and photographing. I had a wonderful, relaxing birthday watching these beautiful little birds go about their daily business visiting flower after flower after flower.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor