I had been trying to photograph a long eared owl which was regularly being seen on the moors above my home town and had been failing. The owl was either too far away or heading in the wrong direction so any photographs were not the best. Finally one evening I noticed wing tips just showing above the crest of a hill and as I tracked them through the viewfinder the owl suddenly appeared heading directly at me. I could see it's brilliant orange eyes looking directly at me and with no time to reconsider my settings I fired off the shutter catching a number of shots of which this is my favourite. The owl continued to hunt this area throughout the summer and although I managed to photograph it again on numerous occasions this shot still stands out. I think those eyes are imprinted on my memory for ever. The owl nested locally and successfully raised two young which hopefully will be hunting over the moors in the coming years.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor