Hummingbird moths come out in the fall months in Illinois. Hummingbird moths, a member of the sphinx moth species, are numerous and most come out close to dusk. It is very hard to get a great shot of the moth due to low light conditions. Another issue is that they are very quick to hop from flower to flower and due to the low light using high-speed ISO makes for a very grainy image.
This shot was taken in the park near my house in their bee balm butterfly garden. It is so hard to get a closeup of the hummingbird moth , and I would have loved to get closer, but they fly away so quickly.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor