When we think of Spring, flowers, bees, butterflies and young animals come to mind. But… have you ever seen a highly pregnant red squirrel? This mom-to-be red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) came only once to the water’s edge to collect a nut. Her walk was very lumpy with her big belly in between. It made my heart jump. Mother’s day is almost coming in and I got to see this entirely amazing moment. I took the image from a hired wildlife hide in the woods. The owner of the hide was amazed as well, because in all these years he had never seen anything like it. The pregnancy will take up 5-6 weeks to complete. She will get 2-5 baby squirrels. The babies will get their fur after 3 weeks. A week later their eyes will open. For 10 weeks they will be nurtured before they need to fend for themselves. Hope to see the babies during my next visit in May!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor