One Sunday morning last September, I decided to head down to Ganges Inner Harbour here on Salt Spring Island as I’d seen a few European Starlings alight on the one Pear Tree near the water the previous week and thought I might get lucky again. As soon as I started strolling down the boardwalk, a gregarious group of about 10 or 15 Starlings flocked to their tree and began pecking at the almost ripe fruit in a frenzy. I hurried along and found a good spot just in front of the base of the tree where there was a nice opening amid the lower branches. I waited for the Starling in my photo to make his way down the tree to perch in that opening near those juicy pears and my patience was finally rewarded!
I was able to capture some of the striking beauty of his iridescent plumage (non-breeding) as he stood on guard, just for a moment—right before being bumped off his perch by a hungry competitor!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? You can even select the currency you wish to pay with and even get priority on the images you send us. Take a look below to see what you can enjoy.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly Photo Challenge
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
Clare Disano • Editor